Saturday, June 9, 2012

Online or Blended Teaching Methodologies and Strategies

As the computer teacher for Latrobe School District, I was able to use a blended teaching method in the computer lab over the last 7 years. Each student had their own computer station from which they could access my Computer Class webpage and project pages with worksheets, links, rubrics, web 2.0 tools, and interactive activities.  I provided a variety of learning materials to allow for student choice.  Most of the time, they were able to choose the format or tool they would use to complete the project (e.g. Powerpoint, Prezi, Storybird, Animoto, GoAnimate, etc.).  I also began using Edmodo with my 6th through 8th graders as a type of LMS and as a safe way for them to learn about social networking.  I learned the hard way that I needed to set expectations about when grades would be posted and how fast they could expect me to respond to their posts or emails.  A few students (and parents) expected their grades and their questions to be answered instantaneously.


Things will be different next year as I will be teaching Social Studies most days in a traditional classroom with only 2 computers for the entire class.  The plan is to have iPads for each of the 6th graders, but this will not be happening until November.  I will still be taking my class to the computer lab, but I won't have the flexibility of being in the lab every single day and students will not have full access to the computers.


To improve my blended teaching skills, I would like to learn how to use a more comprehensive LMS which would allow my students to have more individualized instruction and access 24/7.  In my computer class, students had to look on my webpage and also look on the Edmodo site for assignments and to post discussions.  It would be great to have the entire curriculum and assessments on one site. VoiceThread would be nice to learn, too.


I would also like to learn more about flipping the classroom and using screencast software like Jing and Camtasia.   This would give students the ability to watch videos at home and come to school prepared to work on projects.  It would also be a great re-learning tool for them to have access to.  It would help to turn my traditional classroom into a more student-centered classroom as I would not have to give direct instruction as much and could be more of a coach.



No comments:

Post a Comment